Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday January 7 - Please Read! Lots of News!

1. Grant Opportunity for iPads in our classroom.

This school year, I want to make sure my students have the materials they need to succeed. So I've created a classroom project request on a 501(c)3 charity website called DonorsChoose.org.
 
I'm writing to ask for any donations possible for the students - no matter the size, it will help! This week only, any donation you make to my project will be doubled! If you know anyone who is passionate about education, please pass this along. Your tax-deductible donation will have a direct impact on at least 24 students (and many more in the future), and you'll hear back from our class about your impact on our learning!

To learn more or donate:

1.     Visit my Teacher Page, www.donorschoose.org/mrs.robb
2.     Choose my project, enter the amount of your donation, and click "Give"
3.     During check-out, enter the word INSPIRE where it says "Match or gift code", and your donation will be matched dollar for dollar.

The INSPIRE match code will double your donation for the next 7 days.

Please feel free to send me any questions you may have, and know that my students and I greatly appreciate your support.
 

 2.  Homework and a new spelling information sheet went home today.


The purpose of homework is to provide practice and reinforcement of concepts learned at school.  I also want homework to be relevant and at the appropriate level for your student.

With this in mind, I am providing you with a resource to individualize the spelling homework for your child.  Attached is a Word Bank with the most commonly written words used in everyday writing.  They are leveled according to typical grade level and frequency.

My suggestion would be to start with the first list.  Have your child write each word without looking.  When they misspell a word, add it to that week’s practice list.  Check off the words your child has mastered.

Choose five words each week for your child to practice visualizing and writing that week.  Being able to spell these common words quickly allows your child to concentrate on writing a story instead of spelling a story.  List the words you have worked on at the bottom of the homework cover sheet.  I will leave that box blank for you to fill in.

3.  Book Order- This month the book order will close on Friday the 11th!  
L6VB8 is our online ordering code.  Remember, when you order online you receive a gift certificate to use for next month.  I will close the book order on Friday.  This is completely voluntary!

Whew....that's all for today!

1 comment: